Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pen Pals: Letter to my Proffesor

Professor Harris,
Greetings first and foremost. As you have probably learned of the events that have taken place in Detroit where another innocent life was taken, I am frustrated.  Frustrated past the point of theorizing and learning and to the point of mobilization and action.  I know the problems that surround our people but I honestly do not know where to start in order to solve these problems.  How can you make a people realize that the things they were socialized to love are really destructive?  Our people have been plagued with the ideals of individualism, submission, accommodationism, and inferiorism.  After the news of another innocent black killed by the police, I went into a deep reflection about all the systemic faults in the black community.  My friends and I are outraged and looking for a solution.  I came to you because I noticed that you and I have similar perspectives after taking your Intro to Black Politics class this last spring.  Please advise me on the steps I should take to solving these problems.





Bryant Brown

No comments: