Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reflection of My Preperation

I am a member of the Howard University “Showtime” Marching Band. Since the initial thought of Barack Obama winning the Democratic nomination for the presidency of the United States, I was a member of the Howard University “Showtime” Marching Band. I watched the first and third debate between Barack Obama and John McCain on the second airing due to being a member of the Howard University “Showtime” Marching Band. When Barack Obama told the world “Yes We Can,” and promised hope for re-building America, I played my saxophone a little better and a little louder so that I may give hope to my fellow band members to build a better band. When Obama supported the $700 billion bailout with a look of discontent, I lifted my legs a little higher and practiced a little bit harder so that I would never need a bailout. When he won and others celebrated, I served the band that I love so much because I realized that there was still much work to be done. Even during the inauguration, I gave my full attention to the Howard University “Showtime” Marching Band. But something changed during the inaugural parade. As I marched past him in seemingly perfect marching condition, I saw through that glass a reflection of my preparation. And it was at that moment that I realized that Barack Obama, full of hope, inspiration, and seemingly perfect preparation, was and is my black president. If he had prepared like I prepared for those brief moments during the parade then I have no hesitation that Obama will lead this country to greatness.

1 comment:

Brooklyn B said...

I wish everyone reflected on their role in the band. Not only that but reevaluate their commitment levels and where their true passion lies. If it aint in 90's, musicianship, and Bison pride they need to GET THE STEPPIN. This transcends the band to other levels of success in the organizations and endeavors they become a part of. If they can't commit to the best (Showtime) what makes them think they're capable of even attempting to maintain the sub par standards of the rest (I'm just sayin). At any rate, I felt the same after he was elected as you do. It's time for us all to take responsibility and pride in the roles we have in uplifting our communities' and nation's images and reputations. The real work begins now and excuses are WHAT?! lol